Brief Description of the Foundation
The PGH Medical Foundation, Inc. is a non-stock, non-profit organization which was conceived to assist the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) in achieving its noble mission of providing excellent health care for its indigent patients. It serves as a conduit of donations coming from various civic-minded individuals, corporations, foundations and other funding agencies. The Philippine General Hospital (PGH), the premier government hospital serves more than 500,000 patients annually, ninety eight percent (98%) of whom are indigent. It is beset by its shortage of funds, as the subsidy it receives from the Government of the Philippines (GOP) and the earnings from its pay patient departments, income from the laboratory procedures and pharmacy sales are insufficient to underwrite all its essential services. The Foundation was organized in 1997 by the then PGH Director Antonio Montalban together with some concerned doctors of the hospital and prominent community leaders. It became fully operational only in 2003 when it became a major partner of PGH. The foundation is a registered donee institution certified by the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR), thus allowing it to give certificates of donation entitling donors to tax credits.
To achieve its objectives the Foundation conducts many projects at the PGH, the more prominent of which are the following:
- Direct assistance to indigent patients for the procurement of medicines and supplies as well as special laboratory/ diagnostic procedures;
- Infrastructure renovation – the hospital being a century old, needs the updating/ repair and refurbishment of its facilities;
- Provision of equipment and materials i.e. linens, instruments, air conditioning units, etc.
- Assistance in relevant training and research.
SOURCE OF FUNDS
In support of its various projects, the foundation is engaged in various fund-raising activities, namely:
- Direct solicitations from philanthropic individuals, corporations and other foundations.
- Organizing fund-raising events e.g. concerts, fashion shows, art auction & sports tournament.
- Voluntary donations.
- Coin banks in various business establishments.
The Foundation has a 15-member Board of Trustees which sets policies and oversees the Foundation’s operations. It has a President who is the Chief Executive Officer, an Executive Director and an Executive Committee composed of twelve (12) members that act as an advisory body to the President. It is certified by the Philippine Council for NGO Certification (PCNC) and is a BIR approved donee institution which allows it to issue tax credits to all its donors.